« Home | SCOLARI FOR SAUDI ARABIA?Luiz Felipe Scolari may o... » | RUSSIANS WELCOME HIDDINK APPOINTMENTGuus Hiddink's... » | BARNES BLASTS IMPATIENCE IN FOOTBALLEngland legend... » | HARRY AND ANDY HAVE GOODE THING GOINGFor five seas... » | DALLGLIO: ENGLAND NEED TO GET FIT AND ON-PLAN BLOO... » | DALLAGLIO BACKS HIDDINK APPOINTMENTLawrence Dallag... » | HADDEN SLAMS SCOTLAND PERFORMANCEUnder-pressure Sc... » | WILLIAMS WORRIED ABOUT INJURYShane Williams hopes ... » | GATLAND SATISFIED WITH OPENING WINWarren Gatland b... » | CHAMPIONS WALES KICK-OFF WITH VICTORY OVER SCOTLAN... »

CHELSEA FAIL TO CATCH ZENIT GOALKEEPER

Chelsea came close to signing Zenit St Petersburg goalkeeper Kamil Contofalsky in the January transfer window, the Slovakian international has revealed.

Instead, after selling Carlo Cudicini to Tottenham, the Blues did not dive in and have to put up with second-choice Henrique Hilario.

And while No1 Petr Cech is out with a back injury, Chelsea's decision not to draft in another stopper leaves dodgy 33-year-old Hilario with the gloves for now - and with no recognised cover.

Contofalsky, 30, who has over 30 caps for his country and has been with the Uefa Cup winners for six years, said that he was one of a number of goalkeepers lined up to deputise for Cech.

"There were rumours that I might be going to Chelsea, but I did not pay attention to them until my agent spoke to me a week before the transfer window closed," he said.

"He then told me that I was going to be the Chelsea goalkeeper very soon, and we were waiting for the call from (CEO) Peter Kenyon.

"I learned that I was on the list of 10 goalkeepers they were looking at, and then that was decreased to two. Apparently Cech gave me a good reference.

"Eventually Chelsea chose not to fill their squad with another goalkeeper - it was a strategic decision.

"I am sure I could have been handed a chance to play for Chelsea, because they are playing in three tournaments and the rotation of players is vital."

Labels: , ,