« Home | BARNES BLASTS IMPATIENCE IN FOOTBALLEngland legend... » | HARRY AND ANDY HAVE GOODE THING GOINGFor five seas... » | DALLGLIO: ENGLAND NEED TO GET FIT AND ON-PLAN BLOO... » | DALLAGLIO BACKS HIDDINK APPOINTMENTLawrence Dallag... » | HADDEN SLAMS SCOTLAND PERFORMANCEUnder-pressure Sc... » | WILLIAMS WORRIED ABOUT INJURYShane Williams hopes ... » | GATLAND SATISFIED WITH OPENING WINWarren Gatland b... » | CHAMPIONS WALES KICK-OFF WITH VICTORY OVER SCOTLAN... » | CAPELLO IMPRESSED BY BECKHAMDavid Beckham looks li... » | KEITH-ROACH ON LIONSOne man will be watching close... »

RUSSIANS WELCOME HIDDINK APPOINTMENT

Guus Hiddink's appointment as Chelsea coach until the end of the season has been welcomed in Russia, where he will remain in charge of the national team.

Fellow Dutchman Dick Advocaat, manager of Zenit St Petersburg and assistant coach of the Russian national team, backed the move, saying: "This is Hiddink's decision. I need to respect it and all Russian society must do the same. I think he made the right step."

Star Russian wing-back Yuri Zhirkov, of CSKA Moscow, has also given his blessing, adding: "I don't think that the national team will be harmed. Anyway, the national team and Chelsea are playing on different dates. I am sure he will manage with everything."

Zenit midfielder Igor Semshov believes that the 62-year-old will improve with his duel responsibilities, though he does not envisage Hiddink taking any Russian players to London.

He said: "I am sure of one thing - that Guus is a professional and he will give all of himself to his work. It is of no small importance that he knows us, his players, very well.

"Hiddink is very experienced. I even think that the job with Chelsea will benefit him as well. He will keep his vitality. I am not worried about him. Will he take any of us to Chelsea? I don't think he will mix the national team and the club."

Defender Vasiliy Berezuckiy added: "I don't think that Hiddink combining the two roles will affect the results of the national team. I am interested why other managers weren't allowed to combine the two roles, but Hiddink can do it. I think it will benefit Hiddink, because he will have training sessions almost everyday."

Goalkeeper Vyacheslav Malafeev is hopeful that Hiddink honours his contract with Russia, and will take the national team to the World Cup next year.

Malafeev said: "I don't think that Hiddink will leave the national team for Chelsea at the end of the season. He has a contract that is very important in this situation. We, the players, would regret it if that happens. We want him to stay.

"But if he wants [to combine the two roles], then I don't see reasons not to do it. Anyway, it is very hard to do. The one who will be harmed in this situation is the club, but not the national team. So I would keep my eye on Chelsea's performance."

Labels: , , ,