« Home | FABREGAS: SPAIN ARE NOT RACISTSCesc Fabregas has h... » | CAHILL COUSIN ROBERTS GOING FOR WORLD CUP GLORYTim... » | DOWIE DISMISSES RUMOURS AS "TITTLE TATTLE"Iain Dow... » | DOWIE: QPR NEED TO GET STUCK INQueens Park Rangers... » | Rugby League World Cup stats and facts sheetFACTS•... » | CAPELLO: ENGLAND WILL NOT GO FOR DRAWEngland head ... » | VELOSO WILL NOT BE SPURS' SAVIOURTottenham target ... » | ENGLAND BOOERS SHOULD BE ASHAMED - FERDINANDEnglan... » | ROONEY: ENGLAND WERE RIGHT NOT TO BE PANICKEDEngla... » | CAPELLO: FANS WERE WRONG TO BOO COLEEngland manage... »

ARSENAL ARE TOO INEXPERIENCED - FABREGAS

Cesc Fabregas believes Arsenal are too inexperienced to win trophies this season - because he's one of the elder statesmen at just 21.

The Spaniard saw a number of senior players move on from the Emirates in the summer, including fellow midfielders Alexander Hleb and Mathieu Flamini, and defender Philippe Senderos.

"We are a bit short staffed," admitted Fabregas. "Behind me in midfield there is Denilson or Alex Song, both of whom are 20 [Song turned 21 last month]. Then there is Theo Walcott, who is 19, and new signing Samir Nasri, who is 21.

"Imagine that - in the midfield the oldest is me! It will cost us and make it hard to win because we do not have experience.

"Arsenal no longer have Flamini, Hleb and Senderos, and in have come Nasri and Carlos Vela, who is 19.

"Last season I had many midfield allies in Tomas Rosicky [who is currently injured], Flamini, who ran everywhere on the field, and Hleb, who is like my brother.

"We had both a lot of creativity and a lot of strength in defence. They are gone and now I feel weird. We are now more conservative and strong, but not so creative."

Fabregas says he is hungry for more silverware having won the European Championships with Spain in the summer but admits he is still not the finished article.

He continued: "I gained a lot of confidence at the Euros and mentally I am better. It opened my eyes and showed me what can be achieved.

"It was tremendously enjoyable to win and, having won, I want to win much more.

"In England I feel very important, but in football you should not lose humility. We won something and to win more you cannot change.

"After the Euros success, I came back to work with all the humility possible.

"I base a lot of my game on my passing and vision. At Arsenal, I have the freedom to move where I want, which I believe I must do.

"But I still have a lot to learn at the age of 21 - above all, defensively. I always want to attack, mark and distribute."

When asked whether he would be joining Hleb at Barcelona, the club where he was a trainee, Fabregas remained cryptic.

"I cannot say that out of respect for my fans, my club and my colleagues," he added. "Arsenal have given me everything since I was 16."