« Home | STRAUSS: I WILL MAKE HARMISON FIREAndrew Strauss h... » | JONES HOPING QUINS “BUILD A HEAD OF STEAM”Having a... » | WASPS HOPING NOT TO GET STUNGLondon Wasps head to ... » | FLOOD TARGETS OSPREYS' HOOKEngland fly-half Toby F... » | TIGERS MAUL TREVISO AHEAD OF BIGGER OSPREYS TESTLe... » | TORRES: I WILL FIRE LIVERPOOL TO DERBY DELIGHTFern... » | EVERTON LOOK TO REKINDLE MOUTINHO DEALDavid Moyes ... » | HALFPENNY RELISHING BLUES CHALLENGEIt has been a w... » | BROWN HOPING TO PROVE QUINS' CANDIDACYMike Brown b... » | ARSHAVIN CLOSE TO MOVE?Andrei Arshavin has told Ze... »

STEFFON DETERMINED TO GIVE IT HIS ALL

While Steffon Armitage concedes that his inclusion at openside flanker for England’s RBS 6 Nations opener against Italy on Saturday is by virtue of injuries to others, he is certainly determined to make the most of his opportunity.

The 5’9” London Irish No7 may not have the traditional frame for an international backrower, or indeed the experience of the sidelined trio of Tom Rees, Lewis Moody and Michael Lipman.

But what he lacks in stature, he makes up for in dynamism and ubiquity, and has – in the eyes of punters and pundits alike – fully earned his first cap, following a number of scintillating displays for his club that has helped lift them to second in the Guinness Premiership.

Dismissed by Saracens in 2006 for being too small, Armitage was snapped up by Irish, where older brother Delon was already starring at full-back. Injuries, once more, played their part and when he eventually broke into the first team he vowed to give his all, so that he would be impossible to drop.

“I finally got my chance to play at Irish through injuries, and all the boys stuck with me,” says the 23-year-old. “And I didn’t want to let the guys down at all, so I gave it everything I had in every single game. I would go out there and give it 110 per cent, every single time. I can't sleep before any game because I get so nervous and go into it thinking it's my last one.

“I’ve also got my England chance through injury and I hope I can go out there and take my opportunities with both hands. I will be trying to do the things I have done over the years – driving and getting stuck in, giving the opposition a hard time.”

Perhaps Martin Johnson sees in Armitage something of his former Leicester Tigers, England and Lions team-mate, Neil Back, who was similarly pint-sized in comparison to most other international backrowers. Regardless of the thinking behind the decision, the Trinidad-born No7 admits that he was delighted to be told by one of his heroes that he would be playing for England, alongside his brother.

“My heart is still pumping having got the call,” he continues. “It really hasn't sunk in yet. Martin and I sat down after dinner on Monday and he said: ‘Steffon, I have been really impressed by you, and we are going to give you a start this weekend.’

“I stopped breathing for a second! And then he said: ‘We have picked you because you are one of the form players in the Premiership, and we have faith in you.’ And that is the bit that got me the most. It was coming from an absolute legend – Martin Johnson, a World Cup-winning captain. It was a bit emotional.”

When he runs out on to Twickeham with Delon, who made his international bow in the autumn and was named England’s player of the series, Steffon will become part of only nine brothers to have played together for the Red Rose.

“I'm pretty happy we're both in there and so proud of Delon for getting there before me,” he adds. “But I want to do my best in every game. I am going to go into Saturday’s game with the same mentality.”

BOX OUT

The Armitages are the first brothers to represent England on the same pitch since Rory and Tony Underwood in 1995. Reginald and Louis Birkett started the trend back in 1875.

Delon, 25, is delighted that his younger brother has been given the nod to play alongside him against Italy. “Playing on my own [for England] was brilliant,” he says, “but to have my brother there now, I'm speechless.

“If we get a chance to stand next to each other at the national anthem we probably will sing together and probably shed a couple of tears.

“I have tried to let Stef take all the England stuff in himself, like I got the chance to. The last thing you want is an older brother telling you what to do, what will happen. But I want him to learn it all on his own. Obviously I will be the elder brother and there if he needs any advice.

“He was disappointed not to get picked in the autumn and he worked on his fitness and played even better. He has worked really hard and I am glad he has the chance, like I did, to see if he is good enough to compete at international level. Hopefully he can improve even more and we can both keep our shirts now.”

Labels: , , , , , ,