« Home | FLOOD: WOUNDED ENGLAND WILL FIGHT ALL BLACKS Toby ... » | NONU: ENGLAND WILL FACE WAR IF THEY DON'T RESPECT ... » | PARKINSON UP FOR RELEGATION FIGHTCharlton Athletic... » | PARDEW FEARED TIME WAS UPAlan Pardew feared that h... » | CHARLTON ATHLETIC 2–5 SHEFFIELD UNITED (20,328)Ala... » | MONYE’S RESURRECTIONUgo Monye's rugby career has u... » | RUGBY EXPO: A LANDMARK SUCCESSUnder the gaze of Bi... » | VICKERY: JOHNNO MUST STICK WITH YOUNGSTERSEngland ... » | AUSTRALIA HAND JOHNSON'S ENGLAND A LESSON IN DISCI... » | HELGUSON DEAL OVER?Gareth Ainsworth, the Queens Pa... »

LIPMAN LEADING FIGHT AGAINST McCAW’S ALL BLACKS

Michael Lipman has waited patiently for a proper chance in Martin Johnson’s back-row – the openside flanker was given the nod over Wasps’ Tom Rees for the final game of the autumn series against New Zealand. But then again, he has had to bide his time for most of his England career. Indeed his run out against the All Blacks will be only his tenth cap since his international bow four years ago, and is his first start for the national side since mid-March.

The Bath captain, who played in four Six Nations matches earlier this year following injuries to Lewis Moody and Rees in the Wales game, is rated by many as the best out-and-out No7 in the Guinness Premiership. He is relishing the prospect of facing All Black skipper Richie McCaw – an opponent Lipman first pitted his wits against almost a decade ago and currently ranked the best exponent of back-row’s darks arts on the planet.

“I’m looking forward to playing against Richie,” he says. “It is definitely a challenge I need to rise to. I have only played against him once before – for the Australia Under-19s team when he was playing for the New Zealand Under-19s. I don’t think I have played against anyone quite like him before.

“He definitely gets away with everything – all the stuff on the ground! But that is who he is - it is a reputation he has built up over the years and he deserves that respect from referees, so we will have to deal with him. But he is not alone – he has 14 other mates behind him causing chaos.”

Following the 28-14 loss to Australia - the country that London-born Lipman moved to aged five and left when he was 21 for Bristol - and the 42-6 drubbing last week to South Africa, the 28-year-old believes that his leadership skills are precisely what Johnson’s young team require.

“It is a very good feeling to get the No7 shirt back - I have been given an opportunity and I’m happy about that; I will take it with both hands,” says Lipman, who also played for Australia Under-21s but found good friend George Smith an immovable object when it came to the full Wallabies team. Brought up in Sydney, Lipman began his career at Manly and joined Bob Dwyer’s Waratahs in New South Wales – though he never played in the Super 12 – before flourishing at The Memorial Stadium and then, after moving in 2003, on the turf of Bath’s Recreational Ground.

“I was very disappointed to not get a run out when we were on tour in New Zealand in the summer,” he continues. “Especially after a fairly successful Six Nations when I played four out of the five games. It has been frustrating not to start in the past three autumn games too, but I am very, very happy to be starting against the All Blacks at Twickenham.”

Many viewed Rees as England’s solitary performer against the Boks, but Lipman insists that he has other pluses to his game that make him better equipped to face the All Blacks. And, whatever happens against New Zealand, he is looking to a brighter future for England’s rugby team – namely success in the All Black’s back yard at the World Cup in 2011.

“Tom and I have a mutual respect and I think he has been playing very well,” Lipman says. “But I think I have different facets to my game compared to Tom. I am good with the ball in my hands, and a good carrier. I am big on my defensive game too.

“I think I bring a bit of leadership to the team. I will be able to help Steve [Borthwick, a former Bath team-mate] out a lot. I have the ability to read situations and work out what is going wrong and how we can make it better; what we need to change. That is something I am very capable of doing. I am going to help Steve as much as I can.

“It is very important for England to get a result in this final match of the autumn series. We have to put English rugby back on the map. We lost a lot of respect after the defeat to the Springboks, because it was a big loss – there’s no getting away from that. It is hard for any team to come back from that.

“But in three years time the World Cup comes around and if this is a massive learning curve that gets us to that World Cup Final and wins us that trophy, then it will be happy days and this will be forgotten.”

Labels: , , , , ,