« Home | WORSLEY: CIPRIANI WILL COME BACK STRONGERDanny Cip... » | SUTCLIFFE: 2018 WORLD CUP BID COULD BE JEOPARDISED... » | HARLEQUINS DEFEAT 'FRAGILE' HULL Two tries each fo... » | MORGAN BUILDING FORMIDABLE HULL KR TEAMJustin Morg... » | McGEECHAN NAMED AS NEW LIONS COACHThe British and ... » | BOOTHROYD HOPING TO CREATE HISTORYAidy Boothroyd, ... » | OLYMPIC HOPEFULSOver 10,000 athletes from more tha... » | RHINOS ADVANCE TO THE SIXTH ROUND AT THE EXPENCE O... » | FULHAM PRAY TO FOOTBALLING GODSRoy Hodgson is conc... » | PLAYOFFS MAKE WARNOCK SICKCrystal Palace manager N... »

BOPARA HINTS AT JOINING IPL NEXT SEASON

Ravi Bopara has admitted he could be tempted by the riches of the Indian
Premier League next season if he doesn't get back into the England Test side.

The Essex all-rounder, who made his One Day International debut in February
last year before starring in the World Cup, made his Test bow in December on
the tour to Sri Lanka, but failed with both the bat and the ball and was
dropped.

Bopara, who averaged only 8.40 in the sub-continent, reportedly declined a
six-figure contract from an unnamed IPL franchise so he could work on his game
and earn his England place back.

But after a good start to the county season and no recall in sight, the
23-year-old has admitted he could play in India's Twenty20 tournament next year.

"I am really hungry this season for runs and I am trying to get back into the
England side," he said. "I would do anything to get back into the side.

"I've had a good start to the season but I am trying not to put too much
pressure on myself. I just do what I know and I have practised hard over the
winter and I am practising hard during the season.

"I understood that the England team was going to pick itself for the beginning
of this summer unless there were injuries.

"We won the Test series in New Zealand and the batsmen have done well in the
last few games.

"But I want to prove myself again, and I know that if I am to get back into the
Test team I need to play four-day cricket for Essex. And I didn't play in the
IPL because I didn't want to miss any games. The decision was a gut feeling and
it wasn't too hard to make."

Bopara, who bowls right-arm medium pace, added: "My bowling has been going
really well this season too and is another thing I have been working on.

"I know that I will never have the quickest pace so I am having to be cleverer
with my deliveries. I have been swinging it both ways and have a slower ball.

"I have spoken to a few people from England and the ECB and they have praised
me for not playing in the IPL.

"The Test series in Sri Lanka did not go how I wanted it to go on a personal
note. But I am glad that it has happened this early in my career - it has made
me a better player now.

"I went back and worked on things I knew I had to improve and I can see the
changes already.

"But the decision I made about the IPL was for this season only. It was based on
just what I want to do this season. I don't know what my decisions are going to
be in the future - next year for instance. I will have a look at it further
down the line and see how it goes.

"I have seen a few of the IPL games and the grounds are tiny - people are half
hitting it for six. It looks good fun."

Labels: , , , ,