« Home | HODGSON ON 'WORST' PREPARATION AND LITMANENFulham ... » | SAINTS GO MARCHING ONTwenty miles and over 130 yea... » | CATS HOLD ON FOR QUINS WINLes Catalan Dragons cont... » | RUGBY TEAM NEWSGuinness PremiershipSaturday March ... » | PREVIEW OF BEIJING OLYMPICS (AFRICAN FOCUS)BEIJING... » | QUINS ON THE UP - PURDHAMHarlequins captain Rob Pu... » | QUINS MARCH TO TOP OF THE SUPER LEAGUEBrian McDerm... » | LITMANEN OUT AGAIN FOR FULHAMFinnish legend Jari L... » | ASHTON IS POOR DECISION-MAKER - PROBYNFormer Engla... » | SMITH'S ENGLISH REVOLUTIONAfter a hectic month at ... »

HEALY - I CAN SAVE FULHAM

Fulham striker David Healy believes he can save Fulham from relegation - given the chance.

is positive that, were he given the chance by club manager Roy Hodgson, his goal-scoring - witnessed regularly at international level - would drag Fulham from the jaws of Premier League relegation.

Going into Saturday's crucial Premier League showdown at Derby County, Hodgson's side, with seven games remaining, sit in 18th place having won 23 points from a possible 93. And the last time Healy started for Hodgson's team - back in January - was the last time he scored for the club.

The 29-year-old also netted at both ends in Wednesday's 4-1 international friendly win over Georgia, having been handed a special award by Uefa President Michel Platini for scoring a record 13 goals in the Euro 2008 qualifying campaign.

He said: "It was nice to score against Georgia - I hadn't scored in a while, so it was good. It's disappointing not playing for your club, but I understand.

"There are enough games left for me to play in, the decision is in the manager's hands. I have just got to be fit and patient and hope my chance comes. If I am given the opportunities for Fulham hopefully I can score the goals to keep us up."

Though rarely selected by the former Finland coach, Healy has turned down a number of loan moves in the last month so that he can concentrate on securing Fulham's Premier League survival.

"There was talk of a possible loan deal taking place a couple of week ago, but both Roy and I said no," continued Healy. "I wanted to stay at Fulham and fight for the club.

"I don't want to play anywhere else - I want to be part of this; I want to be here. It's a great club with great facilities. Hopefully I can stay here and help the team stay up."
Last season while at Championship Leeds United Healy captained a side who were relegated - and he doesn't want to feel that sinking feeling again.

"My lowest moment in football was probably last year when Leeds were relegated," said Healy. "It was a huge disappointment.

"The game against Derby is a huge, must-win match."

Labels: , ,