« Home | EMBUREY: MONTY CAN BE RECORD BREAKERMonty Panesar ... » | EMBUREY HAILS ARRIVAL OF UDALEngland Leagend Embur... » | FA VASE PREVIEW: SALFORD CITY v HALLAM FCWho said ... » | VAN BASTEN TO QUIT AS HOLLAND MANAGERMarco Van Bas... » | RIDGEWELL DELIGHTED WITH NEW MAN MCLEISHAlex McLei... » | CERNY BEMOANS SPURS' POROUS DEFENCETottenham goalk... » | LARSSON STRIKES GOLDSebastian Larsson's 93rd-minut... » | KEANE TO APPEAL THREE MATCH BANTottenham captain R... » | LARSSON'S SCREAMER STEALS POINTS IN MCLEISH DEBUTS... » | SANCHEZ ON ATTACK AGAINST ‘PHENOMENAL’ FERGUSONLaw... »

KING RELISHING WASPS VISIT

Alex King's left boot kicked London Wasps to Heineken Cup victory in May, but on Saturday the 32-year-old will line up against his former team mates as his new club, ASM Clermont Auvergne, host the champions at Parc des Sports Marcel Michelin.

The former England fly-half played at Wasps for 11 years and won ten medals including four Premierships and three European titles, before crossing the Channel in the summer. And King is loving the new challenge in France.

“It has been a fantastically good move me personally and professionally,” he said. “There have been different experiences, I have leant new things and am playing with different players.

“I had an amazing 11 years at Wasps and I still look out for their results – they are the team I love the most in England. But I am now with ASM and my allegiance lies with them.

“I couldn’t have left Wasps at a better time – we had just won the Heineken Cup, so it was a great high to leave on.

“This fixture is something that has been in my thoughts since I joined ASM – it will be very special for me.”

King has informed his new team mates of Wasps’ strategies and tactics, but knows they the visitors possess the class to blow sides away.

He continued: “In the last few weeks Wasps have shown that they have developed as a team. They have a great balance.

“When we have had team meetings here I have told the guys they should be under no illusions: Wasps are a tremendously talented outfit, and they want to defend their trophy.

“I have given Vern (Cotter, ASM’s coach) an idea of how Wasps might play, the strategies Ian McGeechan and Shaun Edwards might use. I have a huge amount of respect for the coaches at Wasps, and Ian and Shaun are wise old men – I’m sure at they will have a few surprises up their sleeve.”

And in 20-year-old Danny Cipriani, who has stepped into King’s boots, Wasps have a world beater, believes the erstwhile fly-half.

“I have known Danny for a few years,” said King. “When I was at Wasps he was mostly playing full-back, and playing the odd game at fly-half.

“I think it was invaluable for his development at No10 to play in a variety of positions. It gave him a good perspective of the game, and he learned about different positions and the different roles within the team.

“He has really thrived on the responsibility of playing No10 for Wasps this team. His maturity as a player has improved immensely over the last year or so.

“He is lucky in that he has the likes of Riki (Flutey) and Fraser (Waters) outside him, who are playing out of their skin.”

King, who scored 15 points in Wasps’ 25-9 win over Leicester Tigers in the Twickenham final six months ago, thinks that Cipriani will soon replace Jonny Wilkinson in the England team.

“Danny has certainly played some big games over the last month or so,” he added. “He played against Ronan O’Gara when they defeated Munster, and beat Stephen Jones’ Llanelli and Jonny’s Newcastle last week.

“So he’s playing against all the top No10s in the northern hemisphere and he’s doing himself proud. I would be thrilled if he got a chance for England – he was really unlucky to make the world cup squad.

“I think he would have added another dimension to England’s back play. He has all the attributes to be a world class player for a decade. He is doing everything he can to be pushing for England selection.”

Labels: , , ,