« Home | PROVE WE CAN DO IT WITHOUT TODOROV - PARDEWAlan Pa... » | CITY IN SHAPE TO BETTER CHELSEA - ROYLEFormer Manc... » | WONDERKID DOS SANTOS OFF TO CHELSEA?Barcelona wond... » | ASHTON: GIVE ME THE ENGLAND JOB FOR 2011England's ... » | MCMANUS: SAINTS ARE THE BEST EVERSaint Helens chai... » | CHABAL - THE MAN OF MENSébastien Chabal has become... » | FA CUP THIRD QUALIFYING ROUND PREVIEW: Nuneaton Bo... » | BARRETT COULD TIP THE BALANCE AGAINST LEEDSLeeds R... » | KAMARA: FULHAM SHOULD BEWARE KANU AND DIOPFulham s... » | KAMARA TO SILENCE THE POMPEY FAITHFULFormer Portsm... »

IN THE FOOTSTEPS OF FARRELL - GREAT BRITAIN'S NEXT STAR

Sam Burgess will make history on Saturday by becoming the youngest Test player to represent Great Britain since Andy Farrell in 1993.

That 18-year-old Burgess, who broke into the Bradford Bulls side 15 months ago, playing prop, is even in Tony Smith's squad is beyond his wildest dreams.

"It feels great, though quite surreal," says a beaming Burgess. "It was only a couple of years ago I used to watch Great Britain as a supporter.

"Everything is happening so quickly at the moment - much quicker than I expected."

The youngster impressed Smith last weekend, representing Northern Union against the New Zealand All Golds. His combative play and assist for Union's first try earned him the man-of-the-match award in the exhibition game.

It was the latest on a growing list of accolades for Burgess, though. With rugby league in his blood, he has been earmarked for great things for some time.

Father Mark played in the lower divisions, siblings Luke (20), and twins George and Thomas (15) are all on the books of Leeds Rhinos. Even his mother was a GB international.

"My family are over the moon for me," Burgess exclaims. "They are happy that everything is going the right way for me and just hope that I can keep on doing it."

Having captained England schoolboys at U15 and U16 level, the 6ft 3in forward was recently named Super League's most valuable youngster.

He takes it all with a gentle modesty: "I went to the presentation ceremony and found out I was up for it," he says.

"I never imagined I would get the award. When they shouted my name out, my heart was pounding so hard. I was in shock.

"I've had a few things like that recently. I've had an amazingly successful year. It's just come faster than I thought. I'm not sure it has sunk in yet. I'm probably still up there in the clouds.

"I set myself a series of career goals at the start of the year. My main goal was to play for Great Britain before I was 22. It will happen this weekend - just four years early."

After playing for well-respected junior teams Dewbury Moor from the age of five to 15, then Hunslet Parkside for a year, the talented sportsman - he plays golf off five, and loves cricket too - moved to local team Bradford Bulls.

The senior players have helped his development - something that he is very grateful for. He continues: "I love Bradford just because of the guys that are surrounding me there.

"Glenn Morrison, Joe Vagana and Andy Lynch have been a massive help for me this year. They have been dragging me down to do extra training sessions, making me do the right thing off the field and teaching me new things in life, making my life a lot easier and more enjoyable. A lot of my success it is down to them."

Burgess has been praised for his defensive strength, and game-changing hits, as well as his athleticism - attributes that have caused fellow professionals to liken him to Adrian Morley or Stuart Fielden, who he steps in for.

He says: "I don't mind the comparisons. It's always nice to get compliments from players and former players, but I don't try and listen to it.

"I don't try to play in any style apart from my own. I try and be different if anything. There is always room for me to learn from training with these guys. I don't really want to go and blow my own trumpet."

For the moment, Burgess is still star-struck in the presence of his childhood heroes, though they constantly remind him of his youth. "It's weird," he admits. "It's fantastic seeing them all play and they are all really sound.

"When I was younger I used to watch and look up to Adrian Morley and Jamie Peacock but because I'm the young one I have to do what they tell me. I'm their little slave."

One suspects Burgess, who turns 19 in December, will not be slave to anyone, not least the New Zealand front row. Expect to see his big hits and fierce athleticism for many years to come.

Labels: , , , , , ,